[aprssig] APRS W,W and W,W,W example

Sean Jewett sean at rimboy.com
Tue Feb 15 09:57:15 EST 2005

On Fri, 11 Feb 2005, Robert Bruninga wrote:

> So now we are stickign with WIDEn-N now for its
> great dupe-elimination, and conquering the large N
> problem with TRAPS.
>
> And that was also a new discovery.  That by adding
> WIDE7-7 to the ALIAS list in a KPC-3 digi, that
> that will force a callsign substitution at that digi
> and so that packet cannot go any farther.  Thus
> we now have a way to ENFORCE a limit on big
> N's at every digi and using the hardware that is
> already there.
>
> Thus a NEW Paradigm.  Becuase we can have our
> cake and eat it too (with the network enforcing
> limits on big N's where needed.).

Bob et al,
	I suspect this will backfire in the long run.  Someone pointed out
what happens when WIDE7-6 enters from a non-compliant digi.  Likewise,
another person pointed out that their UNPROTO path is WIDE2-1 (nothing
wrong with that).  So I want to be a LID on APRS, knowing full well
WIDE7-7 won't work.  I make my default UNPROTO path WIDE7-6.  Guess what,
I just got around your trap.

The ultimate problem is figuring out a way to abandon any paths wider than
we'd like to allow on our network without having to resolve to the trap
hack (which is a neat hack).  Unfortunately I'm guessing we'll never see
this addition to the KPC's (and they're the cause of the duping problem
anyway, correct?).  It sounds like UIDIGI rom's would be the way to go, if
the author can be convinced to write the code (basing this on other
traffic on this list).  It sounds like DigiNed does this more or less out
of the box.  ie, I'd be nice to just say any packet coming in with an
UNPROTO path of WIDE4,WIDE5,WIDE6,WIDE7 will be dropped (for our area).
No hacking in WIDE7-7, just specify the n.  It still would allow the
ability to allow wider paths if necessary (ie, TN5-5).

I'd like to see what our long term options are rather than rely on some of
these hacks.  We'd love to see some of the out of state traffic off of our
network.  However, I think this is a short term bandaid.

Sean...

--
The punk rock will get you if the government don't get you first.
	--Old 97's