[aprssig] APRS W,W and W,W,W example

Robert Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Sat Feb 12 10:34:38 EST 2005

I hate to ask some dumb questions, but its hard to know
exactly what you are talking about?
1) Is this a KAM acting as a digi at a very good RF site?
2) Is your KAM a home station that you want to turn into
   a digi?  Is your site high enough to make any real
   difference?
3) Why is your home station needed as a digi?
4) If the site is that valuable, then might be time to change
    the TNC to an old TAPR-2 clone and run UIDIG roms
    or something?

I have to ask these questions because many Home station
relays and the use of RELAY is actually one of theproblems
we are trying to phase out of the system.  Also a lot of the
need for home relays was to overcome all the QRM.  If we
cut the QRM down, then many home statiosn probably are
not needed anymore.

In otherwords there are just a lot of issues involved in these
decisions, and we should not be giving advice on-line
unless we thouroughly udnerstand the unique situation...

Bob
Keith Allen wrote on 2/12/2005, 1:46 AM:

 > Bob, as far as I know, my KAM won't support widen-n.  I've been
running
 > as a relay on my alias for a while now.  comments?

The final firmware release for the original KAM and KAM+ (Ver 8.2) does
support WIDEn-N.  As an alternative, you could put the TNC in KISS mode
and use a program on a connected PC (like UI-View) to give the TNC
WIDEn-N "smarts" .

Stephen H. Smith                wa8lmf (at) aol.com

Home Page:                      http://wa8lmf.com

New/Updated Symbols for         http://members.aol.com/wa8lmf/ham
UI-View and APRSplus: