[aprssig] WIDEn-N rocks...

Robert Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Mon Feb 14 15:21:49 EST 2005

Here are some more thoughts on WIDEn-N versus W,W.

I used to say that a dupe or so from R,W and W,W paths
were part of APRS to help improve deliverability.  That
is, if there was a collision, then there would be a dupe
to help get that packet where it needed to go.   I was
worried about the perfect dupe elimination of WIDEn-N
undermining reliabilty by only having one "egg in the
basket"...

But, turns out that WIDEn-N suffers no loss  in the
multiple-egg's in the basket scenario.  Because if there
is a collision such that digi C does not hear the packet
from Digi B, then it  porbably still has a few more chances
to hear it from D, E and maybe  F.  But still, it only has to
hear it once, and then it is guaranteeed to only digipeat
it once.  No dupes, yet multiple opportunities
for better delivery reliabiilty...

WIDEn-N is the way to go...  And SSn-N is the way to
go if you need a bigger hop because of where you live
relative to the center of the action, but dont need to QRM
across the border...

de WB4APR, Bob