[aprssig] Live Ship Tracking

WB4GQK at aol.com WB4GQK at aol.com
Sat Feb 12 10:46:10 EST 2005

Hi All,

You might be interested in the source of this type of information. Go to:

www.amvers.com

If you click on the STATISTICS box you will see that this information has
been broadcast starting around 2001. Basically it is a commercial shipping type
of APRS. Obviously there is a lot more to it than position reports, and just as
obviously it is instrumental in SAR by all countries with recovery vessels.

There is one other interesting box and that is Amver/Seas. Here you will see
where all these commercial ships report WX information at their location. It
is this WX information that is very valuable and it's this information that is
made available to the general public.

With my commercial license I was called to work on one of these installations
several years ago. Needless to say I was very impressed with how similar it
is to APRS. There is a new upgrade to the positioning system called A.I.S. This
works on VHF side while the AMVER transmissions are on HF.

Jim wb4gqk