[aprssig] APRS W,W and W,W,W example

Bill Vodall wa7nwp at jnos.org
Fri Feb 11 13:07:09 EST 2005

> I understand about the RELAY, but WIDE,WIDE and WIDE2-2 seem to me to have the
> same number of repeats for a given configuration of digis. A packet only gets
> transmitted twice, since a digi won't hear as it transmits, it seems to me that
> the same digis transmit regardless of WIDE vs WIDEn-n.
>
> Can you explain why there would be "3 to 5 times" as many dupes?

I'll take a go at it.

Kantronics TNC's do dupe checking on WIDE2-2 but not generally on the
WIDE,WIDE.   Thus with a WIDE,WIDE path you can get ping-ponging between
digi's you won't get with a WIDE2-2.   The "3 to 5" number is probably a
worst case which is seldom seen.  Normally it might be a couple extra packets.
It all depends on how many WIDE digis are in a area that hear each other.

It's not a problem with Digi_ned or, I believe, UI-digi.

Bill