[aprssig] Quake info via APRS

Curt, WE7U archer at eskimo.com
Thu Feb 10 11:14:44 EST 2005

On Thu, 10 Feb 2005, AE5PL Lists wrote:

> Be careful.  There is nothing to key on for gating to RF (WE7U sends all
> of these worldwide, which can be very numerous and the object name
> doesn't have any location information).

If you thing those are numerous, you should see what I'm sending to
Firenet!  To APRS-IS I'm sending quakes down to magnitude 3.0.
Firenet gets them all the way down to 0.1.  You can see the fault
lines in CA with all the little quakes.

> If you are connected to a
> filtered server port which is only passing packets for your area, you
> MIGHT be able to get away with gating to RF.  I say "might" because some
> areas like California receive a lot of these and there may not be much
> available RF bandwidth.  If you do gate them to RF, please use a very
> short path so you do not QRM other areas which might not have an
> interest.

People in various areas may be gating them to RF.  As Pete said, it
wouldn't behoove you to gate them all, as there'd be too many for
local RF.  Up here in the NW we're gating a few to RF that are in
the Mt. Saint Helens vicinity, but I'm sending those out to a
special call so the igate can filter on it.