[aprssig] Aloha in Chicago

Robert Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Tue Feb 8 20:21:39 EST 2005

>>> mwrobertson at comcast.net 2/8/05 11:32:03 AM >>>
>... I am running UI-View32 add-on of UI-Aloha.
> My local RF feed for the NE corner of Illinois,  including all
>the digipeated stations from Michigan, Wisconsin and Indiana.
>[yields an] Aloha circle...  at 213 KM or 132 miles...

My appologies to Robbie when I Questioned the accuracy of
this result.  Since this circle is centered on Chicago contained
one of the largest population densities in the USA.  This was
unbelievably large compared to what we see here in Maryland
of typically 40 to 60 miles.

But the author of UI-Aloha confirmed the calculations and this
shows how valuable the ALOHA tool really is.   The difference
in range in Chicago compared to Baltimore is that in Baltimore,
the  further out you go the more and more big cities you bring into
the mix.  Wash DC, Philadelphia, NY CIty and so forth.  Thus
the channel is saturated beyond about 40 to 50 miles or so
no matter where you go.

But in Chicago, the further out you go, the more cornfields and
tractors your pick up, but not that great a density of additional
APRS users.  THus, its ALOHA circle is actually surprisingly
large..

INteresting...  But that's exactly why we came up with the
Aloha Calculator, so that we can work with real numbers
and not just opinions...

de WB4APR, Bob