[aprssig] New WIDEn-N Paradigm (MAJOR MOD)

Wes Johnston aprs at kd4rdb.com
Sun Feb 6 15:06:58 EST 2005

I'm not missing that at all... hihi...  I just know the practicality of it.
(just to poke fun at you this time Bob... you shoot me in the foot with
practicality all the time!!)

You are correct in that _if_ every digi used these same filters (if everyone
could /would filter wide7-7's) then we'd have a decent fix... but if one digi
up in VA digipeats a wide7-7, next thing you know, it's a wide7-6 and it
squeezed thru the next digi's filters.... It's like having a firewall with a
few paper windows.  and once the fire (the wide7-6 packet) is in my house,
there's no stopping it.   At least with the SSn-n system (two letter state
abbreviation), we have a (if you'll allow me the analogy) a gap between our
houses.  A packet (fire) might consume one house (network) but it couldn't
spread across state lines.

Now on the other hand, let's consider one of your earlier proposals...
supporting WIDE2-2 universally...  By placing specific wide callsigns in the
UIDIGI setting like WIDE2-2 or wide3-3, and NOT (repeat NOT) putting WIDE in
the UIFLOOD or UITRACE, we end up with an OPT-IN type of model.  This permits
us to give the guys with WIDE2-2 or WIDE3-3 in their trackers at least one hop
as a courtesey if they are not familiar with our local methods.

I think of your FEB 5th proposal to stop the WIDE7-7 or WIDE6-6 as an OPT-OUT
network model... the digi owners have to opt-out of the specific WIDE packets
which are deemed harmful to the network.  The problem is, there are a total of
35 combinations of various WIDEx-y packets.  And in a 2 hop network, we'd need
to remove 21 that could be considered harmful.  Problem is, we only have the
ability to filter 4 of them with a KPC3.

With an OPT-IN system, the digi owners would choose the WIDE packet which were
not harmful - and there's a lot fewer of them - actually, in a two hop network
there are 14 of them we'd need to opt-in on, and we only have 4 we can opt-in
on.

Neither solution is ideal, but I'd rather err on the side of limting the network
than trusting my neighboring digipeaters to catch the errant packets as they
enter the system because if they mess up and pass them, my network is
saturated.

Wes