[aprssig] WB4APR Homepage (mirror?)

Curt, WE7U archer at eskimo.com
Thu Feb 3 12:30:20 EST 2005

On Thu, 3 Feb 2005, Keith - VE7GDH wrote:

> Henk suggested using http://131.122.80.201/~bruninga/aprs.html to
> get there on Jan 29. This would bypass their mis-configured DNS.

Yea, but as soon as you hit a link that calls out the domain name
again, you won't be able to find it and will have to substitute the
IP number into that part of the new link.

Below is a more general fix that would work for all links there, as
your local machine would then already know the mapping from domain
name to IP address.

> Henk also suggested back on Jan 27 for www.ew.usna.edu that he had
> added the following to his Windows hosts file to get him there. If
> you are only interested in Bob's pages, just add the middle line.
>
> 131.122.80.201  www.ew.usna.edu
> 131.122.80.201  web.usna.navy.mil
> 131.122.80.201  cadigweb.ew.usna.edu
>
> Assuming you are using Windows XP, the hosts file will be
> C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc\hosts  Other operating systems
> will store it in a different location.

Unix/Linux will almost always use /etc/hosts