[aprssig] WB4APR Homepage (mirror?)

Keith - VE7GDH ve7gdh at rac.ca
Thu Feb 3 12:21:36 EST 2005

ON5VDK wrote on 03/02/2005 7:44:47 AM PST

> Does anyone know of a mirror to the WB4APR homepage:
> http://web.usna.navy.mil/~bruninga/ I've been trying to visit
> this site for a couple of days now but can't seem to be able
> to connect or am i using an old/out of date address maybe ?

The problem is their end. Probably too many cooks (nor not enough) in the kitchen. I can browse to http://web.usna.navy.mil/~bruninga/ but that doesn't help you. The DNS for navy.mil appears to be configured correctly, but usna.navy.mil is not. Maybe it's part of their program to have some ambiguity in their "location" on the web - hi! Perhaps someone from navy.mil could take a look at their DNS and straighten it out.

Henk suggested using http://131.122.80.201/~bruninga/aprs.html to get there on Jan 29. This would bypass their mis-configured DNS. Henk also suggested back on Jan 27 for www.ew.usna.edu that he had added the following to his Windows hosts file to get him there. If you are only interested in Bob's pages, just add the middle line.

131.122.80.201  www.ew.usna.edu
131.122.80.201  web.usna.navy.mil
131.122.80.201  cadigweb.ew.usna.edu

Assuming you are using Windows XP, the hosts file will be C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc\hosts  Other operating systems will store it in a different location.

This will bypass the DNS system and get you directly to the mentioned IP address and get around the quirky way they seem to have their DNS set up. Maybe their DNS was set up by someone in "military intelligence" - hi!

73 es cul - Keith VE7GDH