[aprssig] MFJ 1270B

Bruce & Leigh Coates bruce.coates at sasktel.net
Sat Dec 31 20:00:14 EST 2005

Hi Fred

I haven't bothered to upgrade the firmware on my MFJ's because I didn't care
about the features other firmwares add.  My wife says it also because I'm
too cheap (I prefer to think of myself as frugal ;-)  ).  If my (poor)
memory is correct, one of the features the TAPR firmware adds support for
using the TNC as a stand alone APRS tracker with just a GPS plugged it.
This wouldn't be of any benefit for an igate.  I also seem to recall that
additional RAM is only used for things like mailbox storage so adding more
be of any benefit either.

One thing you definitely want to do is perform an alignment on the TNC using
the radio you plan to use for your gateway.  The MFJ's can drift out of
alignment over time and the transmit level is best set so it matches the
radio you use.  I've done this on every MFJ TNC I've used any it can make a
beg difference in its performance.  You can find information on this by
entering "align mfj 1270b" into Google.  If you can't find it, let me know
and I email you a copy directly.

73, Bruce