[aprssig] IGATE at Home

N0YXV - Stan Coleman n0yxv at gihams.org
Fri Dec 30 12:50:20 EST 2005

> There are many software options for gating/reverse gating of APRS
> traffic between the internet and RF. One of the biggest
> questions you
> should consider is if you actually need an another igate for your
> area. Depending on terrain a single igate can serve a radius of a
> hundred miles or more. Looking at findu there is already more than
> one station in your area gating traffic. <http://www.findu.com/cgi-
> bin/near.cgi?zip=28723>

I guess I incorrectly assumed that it would be a receive only station
unless it was coordinated with others. We have a whole bunch of Igates
in our small town but we share RF transmit load. Most are receive only
but one is transmit/receive and one is dedicated to transmitting WX info
only. So far I haven't found any problems with this arraignment and a
couple of advantages. The biggest advantage to having so many receive
only Igates is that if one internet connection (or radio or antenna)
goes down we have total redundancy.

Forget where but UI-View does have an option to turn off Igating from
the Internet to RF.

> You should consider working together with these folks to make sure
> you're not abusing the fragile 1200 bauds that are available on
> 144.39. What we have done in the Northeast is try to spread
> the gates
> out so they don't interfere and overly duplicate internet services.
> The gates then can reduce their outgoing path to only comfortably
> cover their area without flooding it.

Ditto.