[aprssig] IGATE at Home

Dennis Hudson n2lbt at spamcop.net
Wed Dec 28 09:37:59 EST 2005

There are many software options for gating/reverse gating of APRS
traffic between the internet and RF. One of the biggest questions you
should consider is if you actually need an another igate for your
area. Depending on terrain a single igate can serve a radius of a
hundred miles or more. Looking at findu there is already more than
one station in your area gating traffic. <http://www.findu.com/cgi-
bin/near.cgi?zip=28723>

You should consider working together with these folks to make sure
you're not abusing the fragile 1200 bauds that are available on
144.39. What we have done in the Northeast is try to spread the gates
out so they don't interfere and overly duplicate internet services.
The gates then can reduce their outgoing path to only comfortably
cover their area without flooding it. Temporary home gateways are
encouraged to participate by being listen only, and act as WIDE1-1
fill digis as needed. You might find that someone is interested in
letting you take over as iGate sysop. I've been doing it for my
region for 7-8 years.

If you are just interested in learning what it will do then do it
with a single hop or even direct to see the effect. If you're serious
about it then consider using serious software, use javAPRSIgate along
with javAPRSSrvr. This is what the core and regional servers use.
This software is mature server software where many of the client
programs like ui-view, winaprs, etc have gating functions that can be
difficult to set up properly. They can probably do the job, but the
tendency is for them to be setup improperly, ie sending useless
"traffic" reports too frequently and over too wide an area, reverse
gating traffic outside of it's aloha circle, or too frequently
reverse gating outside traffic.

--
Dennis Hudson, N2LBT
Sysop APRSALY