[aprssig] 3D positions in Google Earth?

Gregg Wonderly gregg at wonderly.org
Wed Dec 28 18:12:12 EST 2005

Andrew Rich wrote:
> Scott,
>
> Plots are no big deal, just put lots of placemarks.
>
> Lines are different, they seem to get drawn in google earth along the earth
> plane.
>
> You could in fact put lots of placemarks at different heights and look
> around a 3D course.

If you go get the KML demo from google and load it, you'll see that you can do
all kinds of interesting things between lines and the ground.  You can have them
follow the terrain, or follow your own altitude specified line.  You can also
then draw different patterns/planes to the ground.

Points can be plotted relative to the ground, or relative to sea level.  My
APRSKML server believes that position reports are relative to sea level and PHG
reports are relative to ground level.  This seems to create the correct
correlation between the two types of altitude values.

Gregg Wonderly
W5GGW