[aprssig] 3D positions in Google Earth?

Gregg Wonderly gregg at wonderly.org
Wed Dec 28 18:07:22 EST 2005

scott at opentrac.org wrote:
> I'll admit I haven't been following all of the Google Earth / APRS
> integration stuff very closely.  Does any solution out there handle plotting
> positions in three dimensions?  What about with tracks?  I still don't like
> Google's navigation interface as well as NASA WorldWind's, but it's OK and
> no one seems to be working on APRS and WorldWind anymore.
>
> For paraglider and hang glider events (and hot air balloons as well, I
> suppose) it'd be great to have a mapping system that could show the
> positions of stations with projected terrain.  And I'm afraid APRSDOS just
> doesn't really cut it for eye candy anymore. =]

Scott, my APRSKML server (http://aprskml.dev.java.net) plots 3D positions.  It
also provides the track for stations that you select "Tracks On?" for.  The
tracks that I provide use the KML features which only Google Earth Pro will show.

I have been contemplating what Andrew did with just plotting more points to show
the track as individual points.  But, I am not that excited by what that does to
the list of entries under the folder.

I've only played with Worldwind for a few moments to look at the recent moon
topography.  It was not as easy for me to get started with it as with google
earth.  But, I just didn't get to spend much time with it.

Gregg Wonderly
W5GGW