[aprssig] who hears my station

Stephen H. Smith wa8lmf2 at aol.com
Sat Dec 24 02:12:16 EST 2005

wa7ixk at earthlink.net wrote:

>> "The wilds of Idaho" is exactly the kind of place that 30M HF APRS is
>> ideally suited for.   The band is open to SOMEWHERE almost 24 hours a
>> day.   It's not uncommon to get into an HF igate 500-1000 miles away
>> depending on time of day.
>> What is a "TXO-9"?  ____________________________
> a txo-9 is a high accurracy osc. for a yaesu radio. High accruracy .5
> osc.
> I have listened and have never heard any thing.
> I am wondering if it is hearsay and no one has ever used it.
> Just my observation.
> It seems if i put my home station on freq I should hear a bleep once in .
> a while.
> I have heard on people saying it is possible, but i have never heard
> of some one actually trying it and having any success.
> I want data.!Not hearsay.

Well then the radio should certainly be stable enough.

Note that many radios default to USB on the 30M band. If you follow the
frequently-cited advice to "tune your radio to 10.151" but forget to
switch to LSB, you'll never hear anything since you will be monitoring
outside the band.

  It's definitely not hearsay.  You can "see" what I am hearing here in
Pasadena on 30M on my APRS UIview webserver site at:
     http://wa8lmf.dyndns.org:14439

This is 30M as monitored by a Kenwood TS-50 and KAM TNC.  The antenna is
a 30M horizontal compact dipole made from two 30-meter "Ham Stick"
mobile whips about 20 feet off the ground in a very noisy receive
location blanketed with broadband crud leaking out of a cable TV trunk
line.

Currently we are at the rock-bottom of the 11 year solar cycle that
affects HF propagation. At this location, the combination of low solar
activity and the long winter nights causes the band to often be
completely dead at night.  The best times to view are early-to-mid
morning and mid-afternoon to early evening.

Stephen H. Smith    wa8lmf (at) aol.com
Home Page:          http://wa8lmf.com

  http://webs.lanset.com/wa8lmf/DigiPaths

Updated APRS Symbol Chart