[aprssig] What causes "Con" (Connect) LED to come on and stay on?

Amateur Radio WB8NUT duffy at wb8nut.com
Fri Dec 23 16:44:13 EST 2005

I have a Kantronics KPC3+ connected to a PC running Windoz XP.  I use
AGWPE as the primary interface to the TNC.  I have used WinAPRS, UI-View
and AGWTracker.  Several times a day, the "Con" (Connect) LED on the TNC
will come on and stay on.  The only way to get it to go off is to turn
off the TNC and turn it back on.  When in this condition, the TNC will
still receive APRS packets and display them o.k. on any of the APRS
programs, but it cannot beacon until the "Con" LED goes off via a hard
reset of the TNC.  The TNC is running in XKISS mode with AGWPE.  It
happens more with AGWTracker than the other programs, but it happens
with all the programs.  I set the TNC up so that no connects are
allowed.  This situation happens when the TNC is connected directly to
UI-View or WinARPS without using AGWPE.  It also happens with another
Kantronics KPC3 (not plus) model.  Kantronics does not know why this
happens.  Anyone else ever experience this and can tell me what causes
it and how to avoid the condition?

Thanks and Merry Christmas!

Duffy
www.wb8nut.com