[aprssig] via air 144.99

A.J. Farmer (AJ3U) farmer.aj at gmail.com
Mon Dec 19 22:46:57 EST 2005

He said that he's operating this as an experiment with the input
144.99, not 144.39.  It really doesn't matter what alias he uses, if
he uses an alias at all.  It will not affect the general traffic on
144.39.  Yes, if he were to set up on 144.39, of course he should
follow the rules of the new paradigm.  I was just providing
information on how to set up a digi alias for the PK-12.  Sorry for
any confusion.

On 12/19/05, Stan Coleman [NØYXV] <n0yxv at gihams.org> wrote:
> Unless I'm missing your point you need to keep in mind that the use of WIDE and
> RELAY have been discontinued. In place of WIDE you can usually use WIDE2-2 (or
> however many Digi's you want to bother upto WIDE7-7). Use the LEAST numbers
> possible to get the job done. WIDE2-2 is better than WIDE7-7 if you get where
> you want to go. It's just like your radio, you'd use the least amount of power
> it takes to carry on a conversation so as not to QRM anybody else. In place of
> RELAY use WIDE1-1.
> --
> Totally mad. Utter nonsense. But we'll do it because it's
> brilliant nonsense.
>      - Douglas Noel Adams
>

> Quoting "A.J. Farmer (AJ3U)" <farmer.aj at gmail.com>:
>
> > Hi Joe,
> >
> > I found this on the web:
> >
> > To set up a WIDE area APRS digi, simply connect a TNC to a radio, and put
> > it as high as you can get it.  Set the following minimum commands:
> >
> > cmd:   MY W3XYZ-x                 (the digipeater call and SSID)
> >        MYA WIDE                   (this makes it digipeat WIDE packets)
> >        MYN RELAY (or)             (This works on KPC-3s as a second alias
> >        MYG RELAY                   (on PK-12)
> >        UNPROTO APRS VIA WIDE,WIDE,DIGI3...     (so the whole net sees it)
> >        B E 60                     (Sets Beacon to once every 10 minutes)
> >                                   (or B E 10 for Kantronics)
> >
> > I copied it from here:
> >
> > http://www.winaprs.org/DOSAPRS/DIGIS.TXT
> >
> > I hope that helps.
> >
> > Let us know when you plan to make a flight.  I'd like to try it from
> > down here in Southern Maryland.
> >
> > --
> > A.J. Farmer, AJ3U
> > http://www.aj3u.com
> >
> > On 12/19/05, Joe Della Barba <joe at dellabarba.com> wrote:
> > > I want to try flying a payload consisting of a digi receiving 144.99 and
> > > sending on 144.39. I have a radio and a PK-12. I would rather not have
> > > to haul a laptop too if I can avoid it. Can I configure the PK-12 to be
> > > a digi in any fashion, or do I need the laptop too with APRS+SA.
> > > Thanks,
> > > Joe N3HGB

A.J. Farmer, AJ3U
http://www.aj3u.com