[aprssig] Screen scraper

Steve Dimse steve at dimse.com
Mon Dec 19 20:51:23 EST 2005

Anyone on the sig responsible for 63.247.82.82, which resolves to
koala.koalahost.com? Web requests just give an error message...

I admit I've been a bit lax recently because of the hurricane cleanup
and my new career, but apparently for the last week or so that
machine has been hitting the posit cgi more than 60,000 times a day,
or roughly 10% of the total findU load. This is obviously
unacceptable, and I have blocked this IP from accessing findU. In
general I discourage screen scrapers, though if someone wants to hit
the server once in a while, especially if in response to a request by
a user on their server, no big deal. However this is way over the
top. If anyone wants to keep their own database they should parse the
data stream themselves. The APRSworld parser is open source and can
be used easily...

Steve K4HG