[aprssig] Fwd: New England Listen for Balloon!

Robert Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Sun Dec 18 09:57:52 EST 2005

>>> Robert Bruninga 12/18/05 9:57 AM >>>
A High altitude balloon was launched Saturday
from the USA and did not burst.  It  is now 300 miles
out over the atlantic and headed towards europe at
136 MPH:

http://www.findu.com/cgi-bin/find.cgi?wb8elk-11

We need beams on the east coast to see how far
they can hear it.

Right now 9:55 AM EST it is  at 110,000 feet and
headed NE at 132.3 MPH ...  It is east-southeast
from Cape Cod and about 280 miles off shore but
still being heard...by an APRS station KB1AEV-15

Raw packet:
WB8ELK-11>APOT02,KB1AEV-15*,WIDE2-1,qAR,N1OFZ-15:
/181440z4022.54N/06450.07WO073/115/A=110178 05.0V 03C HDOP00.8 SATS1

**********************
The University of Alabama - Huntsville Balloonatics group have launched a
balloon which has got stuck. It is hovering at 61,000 feet or thereabouts over
the TN/VA border.

If anyone wishes to listen on 146.565, I am sure that Bill would be very
pleased to get any signal reports directly at wb8elk at aol.com.

Check out this URL (I've been unable to get findu to print the whole of the
flight track on one page):
<http://www.findu.com/cgi-bin/track.cgi?call=wb8elk-11&start=5000> .

Hopefully, though I think unlikely,... the APRS will burst into life tomorrow
morning too, and will update the map.

Iain   KI4HLV