[aprssig] IP Based Modems (TNCs)

A.J. Farmer (AJ3U) farmer.aj at gmail.com
Mon Dec 12 12:00:58 EST 2005

On 12/12/05, Curt Mills <archer at eskimo.com> wrote:
> I did hear something recently about the latest WRT54GS boxes
> changing their firmware (perhaps hardware too?), so if interested in
> this stuff, research which models will accept the open firmware
> before you buy.

Yes, Linksys has totally changed the hardware with the v.5 of the
WRT54G and it no longer works with third party firmware.  However, the
good news is there is a new model, the WRT54GL (the "L" means Linux)
which is basically a v.4 WRT54G.  This will continue to be produced by
Linksys for the third party firmware crowd!  Way to go, Linksys! ;-)

If you find a WRT54G with a serial number starting with CDFB or
higher, then it is a v.5 and is no good for experimenting.  You either
need one with a serial number of CDFA or lower, or just get yourself a
WRT54GL.

--
A.J. Farmer, AJ3U
http://www.aj3u.com