[aprssig] New APRS

James Washer washer at trlp.com
Fri Dec 9 23:24:12 EST 2005

Hi Fred..

First, a couple of small corrections to what you wrote..

1) I suspect you are looking for a KPC3+ (not a KP3+) (http://www.kantronics.com)
2) Further, you want to send you data to an APRS-IS server, not to findu. (http://www.aprs-is.net)

If you want to connect to APRS-IS, you'll need some kind of a computer (7x24 up time), and some software. You'll be operating as an IGATE. I use xastir running under linux for this purpose, as you can run linux and xastir on an old junk computer that would otherwise be tossed out. (http:www.xastir.org)

You can also run xastir under windows... but linux is the way to go IMHO.  There's a ton of free downloadable linux's. Try Redhat's Fedora Core 4 (FC4) or Ubuntu.

I'll be happy to lend a hand with either linux or xastir...

That's about it.

 - jim