[aprssig] New APRS

Fred Atkinson, WB4AEJ fred at wb4aej.com
Fri Dec 9 23:11:58 EST 2005

Greetings,

    My name is Fred Atkinson.  My call is WB4AEJ.  I've been a ham for over
thirty years.

    I am working on a project to create an APRS node here in the Sylva, NC
area.  Hoping to get information that will help our project along.

    We have had three Kenwood two meter rigs donated to the University
(Western Carolina University) which we can use for the project.  Haven't
fired them up yet, but I hope to by sometime next week.  I've been told I
can do some swapping to get the other things we need for this project.

    Need to round up a Kantronics PK3+ with at least version 8.3 software,
according to Stan (WA1LOU).  Any leads there?  It doesn't have to be new of
course.  Just in good working condition.

    We are looking into getting an Internet feed to the site so we can dump
data to the findu.com server over the Internet.

    Besides a two meter rig, TNC, power supply, and an antenna, what
additional hardware would we need to be able to feed data over a high speed
Internet connection?

    If you have any useful links to this end, I'd be very, very grateful if
you'd send them along.

    Thanks for any information that you can provide.

                                                                    Fred,
WB4AEJ