[aprssig] Voice Repeater Posits...

Robert Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Thu Dec 8 20:17:15 EST 2005

Once you get it figured out (how to get your
Echolink or IRLP node to show up  on the APRS-IS
and thence via your local IGate onto RF, please
prepare a little quick "how-to" so that we can get
more of these to show up on APRS.

Now the GOOD side is that this is what APRS is
all about (showing the mobile all useable resources
around him within RF range).  That is why I always
wanted the Echolinks and IRLP nodes to idenfity
themselves directly on RF so that the packet would
ONLY GO DIRECT and not add QRM to the users,
but still be frequently visible to locals.

The DOWNSIDE of this doing it via the APRS-IS and
then IGating it back to RF is that it now takes on
the footprint of the IGate and not the RF footprint
of the Echolink or IRLP node.  So we MUST make
eveyrone aware that IGates that gate these back
to RF, then have the responsibility to ONLY SEND
these objects to RF either DIRECT or one hop max,
and NOT out 2 hops ore more.

I sure wich IGates had the ability to assign discrete
paths to such gate-to-RF exceptions.  Then the
IGate could tailor the footprint of those beacons
just to the footprint of the RF node itself.

ANyway, include this warning in any docs we put
together on this topic.

thanks
de Wb4APR, Bob

RF

>>> mwrobertson at comcast.net 12/08/05 3:47 PM >>>
A.J.

I found it! I was over looking it in the help file. I had zeored it out
on the Lat/Lon but may think about it and reactivate it..  Thanks

Robbie