[aprssig] Voice Repeater Posits...

Robert Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Thu Dec 8 13:05:34 EST 2005

Actually, I prefer the object names to be as you
show below 442400 instead of 442.400.  This is
because when it is send over by the D7
or D700 to the map display of the GPS as a waypoint,
it causes my particular GPS (III+) to generate
an error display (invalid waypoint received).
This means I have to hit ENTER each time I see
one of these.  So best to put the FREQ into
a posit wihtout the decimal point and just always
make it 6 digits.    de WB4APR, Bob

>>> Richard Montgomery <kb4ytm at gmail.com> 12/08/05 10:15 AM >>>
Hey Bruce,

This is what I use to advertise local repeaters using the btext and
beacon function of the kpc-3's that are used as digi's.

BT ;442400   *000000z3623.39N/08913.48Wm PL 1318 KA4BNI West Link Rptr
System

That shows a 442400 label on the users screen that are in direct view of
the digi site. The information text shows the PL tone used on the
repeater. This ones uses the MIC-E symbol, but I may change it to a
antenna icon or something as its not a mic-e repeater.

I cant hear these repeaters from my house so I dont know if there is
increased activity on the repeaters as a result of the broadcasts.

I have seen others using IRLP and ECHOLINK node numbers instead of
repeaters.

You can also add objects using UIView32 but it goes out to your default
path like wide2-2 or whatever. Most repeaters dont talk 2 digi hops away
(at least around here they dont) so its pointless to advertise a
repeater 100 miles away when most mobiles couldnt even hear it that far.

Now if only UIDigi software would ID with some custom text that would be
cool.

Richard

--

APRS Traffic heard on 144.390 in Lexington, TN
http://richdea5.no-ip.org

Archived APRS traffic
http://richdea5.no-ip.org/usagehistory