[aprssig] Question about new-paradigm digis and "WIDE1-1, WIDE2-2" paths

Robert Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Wed Aug 31 17:20:59 EDT 2005

>>> washer at trlp.com 08/31/05 5:14 PM >>>
>I thought that the any digi that directly receives
>a "WIDE1-1,WIDE2-2" packet was supposed
>to do callsign substitution.

Yes, but most of the simple-fill-in digis can't
do that.  That is one reason most of them used
to be RELAY only digis in the first place...
SO simple WIDE1-1 digis dont.

> what I'm seeing is
KG7HH-1>APRS,WIDE1-1,NEWDIG*,WIDE2-1>....

>it seems that NEWDIG is cheating me out of 1 hop, no?

No. the non-substituting digi did the first hop.
then NEWDIG* did the second hop.  and now
the WIDE2-1 is available for a 3rd.

Sure, http://www.ew.usna.edu/~bruninga/aprs/fix14439.html