[aprssig] Question about new-paradigm digis and "WIDE1-1, WIDE2-2" paths

James Washer washer at trlp.com
Wed Aug 31 17:14:39 EDT 2005

I thought that the any digi that directly receives a "WIDE1-1,WIDE2-2" packet was supposed to do callsign substitution.

For example
KG7HH-1>APRS,WIDE1-1,WIDE2-2:>my message
would become
KG7HH-1>APRS,NEWDIG*,WIDE2-2:>my message
if that NEWDIG heard it direct.

However, what I'm seeing is
KG7HH-1>APRS,WIDE1-1,NEWDIG*,WIDE2-1>my message

Since my intention with using this path was to get 3 hops (This is my remote area path), it seems that NEWDIG is cheating me out of 1 hop, no?

On the other hand, perhaps NEWDIG is just smart enough to know that he is a VERY high level digi and if he heard me direct, there is no need for another 2 hops.

BTW, does anyone have a URL that points to a document that spells out all this new paradigm detail?
 - jim

p.s. Yes Cap, I'm talking about your box, but I didn't want to mention any names ;-)