To the Preacher. (Was RE: Emergency comms. Was RE: [aprssig] Igates Are A Fair WeatherSolution (was:

Robert Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Wed Aug 31 11:15:54 EDT 2005

Dave,
You seem to missinterpreting my use of the word
"local" as being a geographic term.  It is not.  It
is an RF term, and in APRS, it means all those
stations that are close enough to you so that
you can all share 1200 baud RELIABLY without
lost packets.  In some areas, that might be
15 miles.  In others, it might be 150 miles.

Has nothing to do with geography.  It has to do
with frequency saturation.  That is why all APRS
software should display the ALOHA circle to users
so they can see what  their "local" network
really is...   Bob, WB4APR

>>> dave at emv.co.uk 08/31/05 5:27 AM >>>
Hi Bob...

All understood.  But.....

The main difference here (UK) if I've failed to get it across before, is
that WE DO NOT have an abundance of IGATES.  (Sorry to shout from the
pews)

Hence, for many of us in the UK, a "Wide" area of coverage is what we
desire.  Local communications (small area) is fine, and well served in
parts of the UK, but not others.

We also do not have the same percentage of licensed (and active!) ham's
in the population, that makes a wide area coverage even more useful than
a local.

Also, I and others have a desire to track and message friends etc, who
travel all over the UK, and sometimes Europe.  Currently, APRS just
about does it, but as you point out, not reliably.

Using your "Local" area plan, this would not be possible.  (And as I'm
slowly finding, using the ISS is problematical too)

Again, we DO NOT have a large selection of IGATES to use (licensing
restrictions) and getting to them for what we wish, needs as you call
them "Abusive" paths.  (Sorry to shout again.)

>From what others have said recently in any case, it would appear that
many US users are figuring out how to "abuse" the system in any case, to
get a similar result to what I and many over hear wish to use it for.

Weather stations in the southern US obviously have a valuable
contribution to give the community as a whole.  In the UK, as far as I
can see, they just add to the QRM, also the "Traffic" counters.  We know
the roads are congested, so why broadcast the fact, locally or
otherwise?

Yes, short paths, and small "Aloha" circles make for reliable comm's,
but that is best provided for in a real emergency by dedicated digi's on
a separate frequency, away from the crowd for that very reason.  Also,
you are not then relying on any existing infrastructure you have no
control over, should the lights suddenly go out.

OK, me bum's back on the pew.....

Cheers Bob...

Dave B.  'WBX