Emergency comms. Was RE: [aprssig] Igates Are A Fair WeatherSolution (was: "Finito")

Dave Baxter dave at emv.co.uk
Tue Aug 30 12:13:32 EDT 2005

Careful Jason, some of us have spent more time in the distributed
communications field (and related industries) at a profesional level as
well as amateurs, than the age of our call's may indicate....

I'm well aware of the layered aproach to packet based data comm's
(Including the transport layer and all it's faults and foibles) and the
inherrent unrelaiblility of the UI system when "pushed".

As someone else on this list earlier pointed out, you can't trust the
"established and tested" infrastructure (RF, 'net or otherwise) in an
emergency.  So, best provide your own, "on the fly"..

Mobiles (or portables) set up on an overlooking hill, or a safe (if
there is such a thing) high car park or other structure, running as a
node or digi for example.  That's what happens over hear, as the usual
APRS frequency is too full of people who would want to "have a go" but
get in the way...

Read the rest of my post, especialy about the use of CW and the KISS
principle.

Nearly chucking out time hear, may get one more round in if quick!

Cheers...

Dave B.  G0WBX