[aprssig] The Rise and Fall of the APRS Empire

Earl Needham needhame1 at plateautel.net
Fri Aug 26 20:04:34 EDT 2005

At 02:22 PM 8/26/2005, kc5zrq wrote:
>Tell me how to get the 100 or so miles to Clovis> from
>Lubbock --  and I don't mean highway 84!  <G>> >
>Earl> > > Earl Needham, KD5XB, Clovis, New Mexico DM84jk>
>
>This morning I messaged to W5ROY-15 by transmitting packets
>from my home station in South Lubbock directly to the BLKWTR
>digipeater.  At the time, there were over 120 stations in my
>list, and that's not counting all the objects.

         This afternoon, I'm showing 14 stations on my map, and three of
those are from the internet stream.  Seven are digis.

>The truth is, if you want to communicate reliably between
>Lubbock and Clovis, a path of about 100 miles, you need to
>setup another digipeater.

         Can't do it!

         That would require more than the 2-hop maximum now being
touted.  In fact, that would require four hops.

>Using a path with lots of hops isn't going to improve the
>reliability of communications.  What are you hoping for?  To
>make a big circle over to AI5TX-1, which is also about 100
>miles away from Lubbock's digipeaters?

         Actually, we used to route up through the Clayton area and then
down through Amarillo and Plainview.

http://kd5xb-2.no-ip.info