[aprssig] KPC-3 8.2 settings

Ed L. Locklear, KF4CHG kf4chg at earthlink.net
Sun Aug 21 22:38:16 EDT 2005

VE7GDH wrote:

> Ed KF4CHG wrote on 21/08/2005
>
>> 3. Edit uiview32.ini
>
> etc.
>
>> WIDEN-N=TRUE
>

> I disagree with entering a setting of WIDEN-N=TRUE. I don't think Arte was
> trying to enable WIDEn-n digipeating - just to get it to respond to
> WIDE1-1.
> It is of course a different ball of wax if he should actually be responding
> to WIDEn-n. Although Arte said "My home APRS station hears  and can be
> heard
> pretty well ... but there are existing DIGIs  in the area that
> sufficiently cover much of it." My interpretation was that he wanted to
> change from responding to RELAY to responding to WIDE1-1.
>
> 73 es cul - Keith VE7GDH
> --

Keith,

Well sorry to say but, it is WIDEN-N=TRUE.  This makes UI-View give
state or ARRL support.  Cut and paste the following into your
uiview32.ini then restart UI-View go to Digipeater Setup.  Then come
back and tell me what you see.  Where ALIAS= make UI-View respond ONLY
to the path entered.  VE7GDH-10 has to be in the ALIAS list so long as
ALIAS_SUBSTITUTION=TRUE and SUBST_ALIAS=VE7GDH-10.  This is done so when
UI-View hears an RF path of WIDE1-1 it will been be digipeated back out
as VE7GDH-10,WIDE*.  So if you do the Cut & Paste thingie and run it for
awhile while monitoring the terminal window, you'll see that it works.

[DIGI_OPTIONS]
DIGI_ENABLED=TRUE
UI_ONLY=TRUE
ALIAS_SUBSTITUTION=TRUE
DUPE_SUPPESS_SECONDS=30
ALIAS=VE7GDH-10,WIDE1-1
UIFLOOD=BC
UITRACE=""
WIDEN-N=TRUE
TRACEN-N=FALSE
SUBST_ALIAS=VE7GDH-10
EXCLUDED=""

This is also per Bob Bruninga, WB4APR:

"HANDLING THE UNIVERSAL ONE-HOP PATH (which used to be RELAY): Some
areas may still need some FILL-IN small valley digis to help mobiles in
some areas. These used to be RELAY digis, but these generated very bad
DUPE situations. Instead RELAY is now obsolete and has been replaced
with simply WIDE1-1. If a FILL-IN digi is needed, give it the alias of
WIDE1-1 instead of RELAY and those local mobiles that need to use it can
use the mobile path of WIDE1-1,WIDE2-1. This gets them 2 hops either
through the FILL-IN digi or via any other digis as well. But because the
path is exclusively WIDEn-N based, then the WIDEn-N perfect dupe
elimination process works."

Oh, by the way before I forget here is what Arte quoted:

"In the ancient practice of acting as a fill-in digi, I've had my KPC-3
Plus v8.2 acting as RELAY.  It is now, however, in KISS mode using the
last version of UI-View.  In light of the "New WideN-N Paradigm" I want
to comply with current recommendations,  yet see the need for continuing
to act as a fill-in digi."

So I would interpret this as he wanted information on how to setup a
Fill-In digipeater.

Arte, correct us at anytime on this to be or not to be a Fill-In digipeater.

Ed, KF4CHG