[aprssig] Re: APRSpoint Pros/Cons WAS: (no subject)

Doug Ferrell kd4moj at kd4moj.org
Fri Aug 19 18:31:08 EDT 2005

On Fri, 19 Aug 2005, Stephen H. Smith wrote:
> This is primarily due to the resource-hogging sluggishness of MapPoint
> itself, not the application that connects to it.  The same problem
> exists with APRSpoint, or even MapPoint running standalone as a moving
> map GPS display.   In general, MapPoint isn't really usable on anything
> less than about a 400-500 MHz P-II or higher - the scrolling and zooming
> will just be too slow.

	Sorry I have to disagree here.... AprsPoint P2004 works as fast on
my Dell 233Mhz laptop (128mb RAM) as it does on my 2.8P4 desktop (well
almost!). I know that is kinda hard to believe but the 400-500Mhz
requirements are simply not true.

	Refresh rates were good, the program loaded up fast, icon loading
was fast. I was indeed impressed since I loaded it up on the laptop first
not expecting those results.

	 As is stated on Ui-View website about the MP plugin, it was
sluggish ideed. They warned about that so that is what you have.

	I just wanted to let folks know what I experienced since I have
seen those claims before that you need a higher proc 400+ to run it. Of
course your mileage might vary depending on that hardware that you
run. ALl my machines (7 servers, 4 desktops, 2 laptops) are Dell. So that
is all I can tell you...

--

...DOUG, KD4MOJ
http://www.kd4moj.org