[aprssig] (no subject)

Stephen H. Smith wa8lmf2 at aol.com
Fri Aug 19 15:21:54 EDT 2005

victorf at windreader.com wrote:

> *I am a newbee to this group. I was a long time user of APRS Plus
> which I found to be quite difficult to understand. Also, a disk crash
> wiped out my Street Atlas 7 files so I can no longer use APRS+. I am
> considering purchasing APRSPoint as I am a registered user of
> MicroSoft MapPoint 2004. **I would like to here the pros and cons of
> this software. *
> **
> *Any enlightenment will be appreciated.*
> **
> *Regards,*
> **

Pros:

Actually runs inside MapPoint as a plug-in; i.e. not two programs
running side-by-side

"Look and Feel" is exactly the same as MapPoint.  The scroll "hand" tool
and zoom "bounding box" tools work exactly the same way.

If you like MS-Outlook / Outlook Express, you will find APRSpoint quite
natural and familiar.

Since it uses MapPoint, the map view can be toggled between road map
view and physical relief view.

Built-In capability to draw track lines for mobiles (the way APRSplus
does) without add-ons.

Cons:

No provision for custom TNC initialization files.  Awkward to use with
dual port devices like a KAM.

Doesn't support KISS;
   consequently, doesn't support intelligent WIDEn-N digipeating (like
UIview)

Hard-to-recognize low-contrast hard-to-see non-standard symbols (uses MS
MapPoint "push-pins" instead of standard APRS symbols -- no way to
update them as in APRSplus or UIview).

Especially critical, it DOESN'T support overlay APRS symbols where the
base symbol is overlaid with a letter or number.  With the transition
to  "New Paradigm" digipeaters, this is important  since many digis are
now using the secondary symbol set green "digi star" overlaid with a
letter or number to indicate capabilities; e.g. overlaid with the number
"1" to denote a home "WIDE1-1" digi, the number "2" to denote a
"WIDE2-2"-only hop-limiting digi, etc.

Doesn't support proper decaying-interval retransmit algorithm for APRS
messaging

Doesn't support logon message for APRS server port 14580   filter port

No speed or distance-sensitive smart beaconing in mobile use.

No NWS weather alert/overlays support.

No built-in web server like UIview or APRSplus

Can be used with AGW as a softmodem but has no support for AGW port
masks when AGW is used as an arbitrator or "quasi router" for multiple
hard or soft TNCs.  I.E, when a dual port TNC such as a KAM or 9612 is
managed by AGW, there is no way to control which ports reach (or don't
reach) APRSpoint.

NOTE:  You can also use MapPoint with UIview via the   UIpoint    add-on
for  UIview.

Or use Precision Mapping 7.0 with UIview.  In this case, UIview uses
only the PMap DATA only;  not the  Precision Mapping program.   PMap
data actually appears inside the main UIview program. Like MS MapPoint
and MS Streets and trips, Precision Mapping covers ALL of the  US and
Canada.

In fact the source of the raw road data in Map Point/Streets & Trips
and Precision Mapping is the same.  It's a database leased from GDT
(Geographic Data Technology).   The roads are the same, only the
presentation (overlays of other data such as bodies of water, points of
interest, parks,etc), map projection (PMap use simple rectangular
lat/long display; MS uses an actual projection) and coloration are
different.

Stephen H. Smith    wa8lmf (at) aol.com

[ Who is a registered owner of APRSplus, UIview and APRSpoint ]

Home Page:          http://wa8lmf.com

APRS Symbol Chart
  http://webs.lanset.com/wa8lmf/miscinfo/APRS_Symbol_Chart.pdf

New/Updated "Rev G" APRS     http://webs.lanset.com/wa8lmf/aprs