[aprssig] Is the APRS Spec for APRS Data Type Identifier just randomly ignored? Should it be?

Steve Dimse steve at dimse.com
Wed Aug 17 23:44:46 EDT 2005

On Aug 17, 2005, at 11:30 PM, James Washer wrote:

> I think your filter misses a lot of errors...
>
> Can you tell me what it does look for? Does it validate the DTI?

Depends what you call an error, I think it catches most of the errors
in APRS format packets. I specifically do not check for things like
the present thread. Not everything that gets to findU is APRS...these
beacons are common in systems packet other than APRS. There are other
kinds of non-APRS things that appear on the APRS IS, I make no
attempt to flag them.

What the error page displays is errors in parsing packets that have
specific APRS meanings in the spec...for example a position report
missing N or S in the latitude field, or a two digit temp in weather
packets.

Steve K4HG