[aprssig] Re: One last question on digipeater code for TNC-X

Ian ZL1VFO zl1vfo at yahoo.co.uk
Wed Aug 17 03:34:29 EDT 2005

> ------------------------------
>
> Message: 41
> Date: Tue, 16 Aug 2005 22:35:54 -0400
> From: John Hansen <hansen at fredonia.edu>
> Subject: [aprssig] One last question on digipeater code for TNC-X
> To: aprssig at lists.tapr.org
>
> Hi:
>
> A while back I was working on the code for a digipeater daughter board
> for TNC-X and I asked a few questions here about features.  I appreciate
> the input.  I'm now finishing up this code (I expect to have it ready
> for beta testing by the end of this week) and I have one last question.
>
> As you may recall, I was modelling this project on the widely used
> UIDigi feature set.  I was advised by someone that one problem with this
> code was there were only 3 beacons and really 4 were needed.  So I put
> four in the code for XDigi.  I've set this up so that a separate beacon
> text and beacon interval can be specified for each.  My remaining
> question is whether it is important to have a separate destination
> callsign and path for each of the four beacons.
>
> Any advice?
>
> Thanks in advance for your input.
>
> John W2FS

Ah, I'd wondered what had become of this - great to hear you are
making good progress.

Separate Destination Callsign: Not overly important, but could be
useful to have there if someone has a uncommon requirement this could
fulfill.

Separate Path: Definately yes! Best for a moderately frequent beacons
for the local region, and progressively  more infrequent beacons the
further out one goes.

Would you consider implementing an individual time 'offset' much like
the UI-Digi firmware intended to have but didn't quite work right?
(Well, it didn't seem to work for me at all, really...)

-Ian ZL1VFO