[aprssig] Wrap up [was: How to digi 6x in the New APRS world?]

Ev Tupis (W2EV) w2ev at arrl.net
Tue Aug 16 22:57:06 EDT 2005

My attempt to unsubscribe was thwarted by a fat-finger mistake on my part, so I
got a day's worth of unexpected APRS list traffic, much of it was directed at
me.  So...before I attempt to sign out again, I thought I'd try to bring some
solice to the group with assurance that I have no intent of bringing any part
of the APRS network to ruin. :)

I requested direct replies for the very reason that I didn't intend to have the
flaws of "the new paradigm" exposed for unwitting people to negatively exploit,
while allowing me to positively exploit them <g> for a short-term event.  That
being said, this is the *fourth* year that I'll be using a similar
strategy...and no one noticed it before (that should speak volumes to my
ability to pull this off without negatively impacting the APRS network).

The "blitz" (as it was called) was intended only to allow me to quickly get out
of your collective hair.  It has been my historical experience that the APRS
list is chock full of nice folks with a very specific vision.  I have no desire
to lock horns with anyone...I just want to have fun on Amateur Radio (the RF
stuff) and let you all do the same.  No offense is intended.

So now that I know the "new paradigm" and it's personality, I will play with it
from home to see how it impacts the network before just turning it on with the
10-GHz contest on Saturday.  I need 6 hops because that represents the DX I can
attain on 10-GHz with my station.  I've actually mapped it out.  It isn't 30
states...it is parts of four states and one province (not even full states at
that), assuming that the frame gets 6 digi's out in the first place

...now returning the APRS sig to it's normal operation.

Again, think happy thoughts, not controversy. :)

Regards,
Ev, W2EV