[aprssig] Suitable radios

Mark Earle wa2mct at mearle.com
Tue Aug 16 08:37:04 EDT 2005

You might consider a GE Phoenix VHF. 25-40 watts, pretty inexpensive on
Ebay. KG4LNE http://www.rtzaudio.com/kg4lne/default.asp  offers a programmer.

One tip: When purchasing, make sure the programming eeprom is included.
Some sellers pull that chip (which is hard to obtain) and sell it separately.

We use the Phoenix/ Delta radios in tracker and digipeater service with
good success.

I have a number of then (3 ..no, 4) for UHF talk around.

Run a VHF 16 ch scan Phoenix in the car as voice primary, and one hidden in
a side panel for the APRS radio.

I figure $50 or so is a fair price, with the chip. You don't need
accessories; the connectors (mic, power) are available at Mouser.