[aprssig] How to digi 6x in the New APRS world?

VE7GDH ve7gdh at rac.ca
Tue Aug 16 06:53:38 EDT 2005

Pete AE5PL wrote on 16/08/2005

> Simple: WIDE2-2,WIDE2-2,WIDE2-2  And this is one of the reasons
> why source-routing doesn't work.

I agree that NSR sounds like a good solution when it finally happens, but in
the meantime, the path that you suggested "should" accomplish what the
person that originally asked wanted to do, but let's hope that he doesn't
use it, at least not long-term. What if the person that originally asked
lives in a state that supports SSn-n? Could they use (e.g.) WA6-6? Another
option... send several beacons via DIGI1,DIGI2,DIGI3,WIDE2-2 if they knew
the callsigns or aliases for (e.g.) the first three digis, add a WIDE2-2 on
the end? At least that would be targeting a particular direction instead of
6 hops out in every direction. The chance of success would be low if there
was any amount of activity on the frequency due to collisions, but it might
work. They could then target a different direction with
DIGI4,DIGI5,DIGI6,WIDE2-2. This would of course depend on them knowing the
callsigns or aliases for the digis that they were specifying.

Of course, if they could temporarily get a digi that responded to its own
callsign or alias ONLY up at about 30,000M, they could digi infrequently
through that digi - hi! - or get one up a 10,000M and use DIGI1,WIDE2-2
where again, DIGI1 was the callsign of the balloon (or whatever was holding
it up in the air) digi.

73 es cul - Keith VE7GDH