[aprssig] Broadcasting?

VE7GDH ve7gdh at rac.ca
Wed Aug 3 12:51:58 EDT 2005

Richard N1JDU wrote on 03/08/2005

> Sure they do (at least some of them do)  You ever hear of K1MAN??

Nope.

However, I did a search and read a bit (just enough) about him. He, like
other hams, do not "broadcast". Perhaps it is bordering on symantecs, but to
me broadcasting means transmission by a commercial (or at least not amateur)
station intended for the general public. When hams make a transmission it is
usually to a specific station, but not always. We are perfectly capable of
making transmissions intended to be some kind of an announcement not meant
for a particular station, but it isn't "broadcasting" in spite of the number
of times the word "broadcast" is used on the website of the individual that
you mentioned, even if some of this particular individual's "listeners" are
not hams. Just because an SWL or two might happen to be listening, it
doesn't make the source of the transmission a broadcast. Of course, if the
FCC decided that he was broadcasting, then it's a different ballgame! I
understand there are substantial penalties.

Hams don't broadcast. They transmit. We are only licensed to communicate
with other licensed amateur radio operators. Amateur radio is not "private"
and there is nothing to prevent SWLs from listening in. APRS is not
broadcasting. Let's get back on topic. <g>

This thread started when someone mentioned that a particular APRS station
had sent an APRS bulletin about a plane crash with hundreds of fatalities
which was completely false. A plane skidded off the end of a runway in bad
weather and burned, but there was not a single fatality. Let's hope that
such false bulletins like this one are never sent again. Bulletins, if an
individual deems that there is a valid reason for sending it, should be
factual.

73 es cul - Keith VE7GDH