[aprssig] Broadcasting?

Paul Kronenwetter n2kiq at arrl.net
Wed Aug 3 11:36:52 EDT 2005

Curt, WE7U wrote:

>So what about when someone comes up on the 2-meter repeater during
>rush hour and does a 1-way transmission telling everyone that the
>I5/I405 intersection is messed up with an accident?  That's not of
>specific ham interest, but I sure as heck would want to know if it
>was along my route that day.  Is this another one of those cases
>where you want to slip it into the QSO with someone else so that you
>fit into the rule structure and avoid that "broadcast" tag?  Seems
>silly to have to do so.

I agree it's silly but I often do this for my Skywarn manager who comes
up on our local repeater announcing that TD#8 has been designated in the
Atlantic basin.  That's something that I could find out via other
sources and doesn't immediately impact me or anyone else who can hear
the repeater...

>Obligatory APRS:  Is the 1.6.0 Xastir upgrade going ok for
>everybody?

Yes, it's still running on my little P150 laptop.

-Paul