[aprssig] Broadcasting?

Steve Dimse steve at dimse.com
Tue Aug 2 23:14:56 EDT 2005

On Aug 2, 2005, at 9:46 PM, A.J. Farmer (AJ3U) wrote:

> Shortly after the Air France crash today, a station sent out an
> APRS message addressed to "ALL" that said (paraphrasing from
> memory) "Air France crash in Toronto, 200 feared dead".  While I
> thought this was an interesting thing to know, it had me wondering
> if the message was breaking the rules.
>
> If you brought up the local repeater and just blurted out the same
> type of "breaking news" message intended for anyone listening, I
> think it would be considered broadcasting.  It definitely was not a
> message that would be "of interest to the Amateur community only"
> which is supposed to be one of the broadcasting litmus tests.

Where do you get this? The definition of broadcasting in Part 97 is:

"Broadcasting. Transmissions intended for reception by the general
public, either direct or relayed."

I see no mention of the content of the message there. Even a two-
meter voice repeater is not the general public.

The other rule people commonly blame APRS as violating is the one-way
rule, and at first glance it might seem that this is a one-way
transmission. Weather and position data qualify as telemetry and
therefore may be one-way. Messages between two APRS stations are
clearly legal under the Message Forwarding System rule. My opinion is
that even the message to ALL is legal under this rule, as the rule
states the message is sent by the "control operator of an originating
station to the control operator of one or more destination stations
by one or more forwarding stations". It is the "or more" that makes
this legal...

If you aren't swayed by this, one of the specific exceptions to the
one-way rule is "Transmissions necessary to disseminate information
bulletins", and again there is no content limitation associated with
this.

Steve K4HG