[aprssig] APRS and RF data modules

Jason Winningham jdw at eng.uah.edu
Thu Apr 28 09:49:11 EDT 2005

On Apr 28, 2005, at 8:12 AM, J. Lance Cotton wrote:

> Why not just get a PocketTracker?
> http://byonics.com/pockettracker/

Because I need a DF locator beacon, not an APRS tracker (yeah, I sort
of changed gears in the middle of that last message).  We usually fly a
DF beacon on our balloons in case the APRS tracker fails.  We've been
flying a backup tracker on an alternate frequency, so the locator
beacon has become less important.  I don't know if we'll keep flying
with the 2 tracker model and leave off the beacon, or use all 3
transmitters (primary APRS, secondary APRS, DF beacon), or maybe even
simple enough for students to configure officially designated as the
primary tracker (I want to use opentracker for this, but I'm not in
charge).

If I did need the absolute smallest APRS tracker and didn't want to
build my own transmitter, I would probably go with the pockettracker.

I vastly prefer the opentracker over the tinytrack, because it's open
source (and I'm a bit prejudiced against the PIC because I can't get a
free C compiler).

If I have a choice between an open product and a proprietary one the
open one gets my money, all other things being equal.

-Jason
kg4wsv