[aprssig] Baker to Vegas Tomorrow...

Bill Herrmann bherrman at spro.net
Tue Apr 26 12:13:35 EDT 2005

>> If there were a timestamp, the user must convert from UTC to local
>> time zone, and then compare to his current time. and then he knows the
>> data is x minutes/seconds old.
>
> Only if the user WANTS the local time.  And you can always use some
> Javascript tricks, too.

Actually, there's a really simple solution that leaves all this complexity
out of it. Bob is asking for a time on the page but that isn't really what
he wants. What he really wants to know is how long ago the page was sent
to his browser.

All you have to do is store the initial time the browser got the page,
calculate the difference and display it. I'm sure many of the counters
would provide a starting place but I'll bet there's a sample in one of the
online developer forums. By doing this the time zone doesn't matter in the
least.

If you want to get really tricky - add the current "last received time" to
the time on your counter.

Bill