[aprssig] Kenwood D700 TNC Transmit Equalization ScrewedUp! (Repost)

Scott Miller scott at opentrac.org
Mon Apr 25 19:17:57 EDT 2005

Am I the only one who sees this as a significant design flaw?  From John
Ackermann's site:

"More important, if the low tone coming out of the speaker is stronger than
the high tone, many TNCs based on the TAPR TNC-2 design, including the very
popular MFJ-1270 series, will have great difficulty demodulating packets.
The demodulator chip in these TNCs, the XR-2211, is particularly unhappy if
it sees a low tone that is louder than the high tone. Because XR-2211
demodulators are so common, it's very important that we transmit signals
that these units can decode, and that means signals that do not have a a
twist favoring the low tone."
http://www.febo.com/packet/layer-one/transmit.html

There are a LOT of digis out there that are going to be at a real
disadvantage because of this.  How many of them can realistically be
expected to adjust their deemphasis?

Has anyone brought this to Kenwood's attention?  How did these even come
about?  I thought 6 dB/octave preemphasis had been the standard for as long
as 1200 baud packet's been around.

On the other hand, maybe it's good for Kenwood's brand lock-in... after all,
they'll decode each other just fine.  TNC-2 won't cut it?  Gotta buy
yourself a new D700...

Scott, N1VG
http://n1vg.net/opentracker