[aprssig] Kenwood D700 TNC Transmit Equalization Screwed Up! (Repost)

Robert Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Mon Apr 25 13:54:26 EDT 2005

>>> wa8lmf2 at aol.com 4/25/05 5:05:22 AM >>>
>In the course of capturing signals..., I was shocked to
>discover that the Kenwood D700 transmits 1200 baud "flat"
>with no pre-emphasis...

Yes, the TNC is used at both 9600 and 1200 baud and
the 9600 baud has to be flat to work well.  Apparently
1200 baud is also transmitted and received flat.  This is why
it is important to make sure in all digipeaters that there is no
audio roll-off any worse than the usual de-emphasis. or even
better, that the TNC is connected to the discriminator...

A good compromise is to set about 3 dB of de-emphasis
at the digis to account for both types of users.

Bob