[aprssig] battery enclosure.

Boyd D Garrett Sr N5CTI at TexasNative.com
Sun Apr 24 13:40:04 EDT 2005

I think the key here is "airtight," Rich. If you keep a standard wet
cell deep cycle battery inside the passenger compartment, and it's
hooked up to charge from your alternator, that nasty gas build-up could
potentially cause a few problems. Especially if someone smokes in the
vehicle.

But it seems to me that the box's shortcomings still argue against it.
It accommodates a Group 24 battery, so if you have a 27 or 30 or
whatever, it won't fit. Further, the box comes with vent tubes to get
the gases out. If you use one of these, you'd have to find a way to run
the tubes outside the passenger compartment, or it does you no good.

All in all, I think I'd prefer to just use a sealed battery, such as an
AGM, if I needed to keep it inside.

73,

Boyd / N5CTI

P.S. Sorry for continuing the digression from APRS, but sometimes I just
can't shut myself up!