[aprssig] Live Telemetry Data Through a Simple Web Page

Brad McConahay brad at n8qq.com
Sat Apr 23 20:20:23 EDT 2005

Actually, I'm doing it almost exactly as you describe, in perl.  But -
functions that pass hierarchical looking arguments means never having to
update the script to add new variables.  And the end-user still doesn't have
to know anything about XML to use the replacement script.

For example, the three parts of the main routine look something like this...

-----------

1. $webpage = get_webpage($cgi->param('url'))

(where get_webpage() is a 5 or 6 line function using LWP to grab the remote
web page)

2. $xml = get_xml("http://xml.n8qq.com/...?call=...");

(where get_xml() is a 5 or 6 line function using XML::Simple that grabs the
packet from xml.n8qq.com and automatically puts it into the simple hash
pointer $xml, so you can get things like $xml->{position}->{})

3. $webpage =~ s/aprs\((.*?)\)/filter_aprs($1)/egi;

(only one regex line needed -- filter_aprs() is a 4 or 5 line function that
takes each aprs(foo bar) variable and replaces it with the value in
$xml->{foo}->{bar}.  This makes it totally extensible without ever updating
this script to add new variables.)

print $webpage;

-----------

Using "$speed" type variables in the web page would mean needing to parse
separately for every possible variable, which is a lot more overhead and not
extensible at all.  To avoid that, the variable needs to be something with
at least a distinct beginning and ending token.  The "aprs(foo bar)"
structure just looks standard and clean to me.  And there's actually no
reason for the user not to think of it as a function, even though it's
really just a replacement variable in the end.

Re: XML...

> You CAN use it in many situations, but at this
> point in time it doesn't make things easier
> than direct access of the data. Maybe when better
> tools are available...

I probably would've agreed with you a year ago, but having done it both ways
now, I have to disagree in a big way.  With having the XML interface already
set up, this replacement script basically wrote itself.  No
variable-to-value mapping routines needed.  The single script that maps
mysql fields to XML elements is the only time that should ever happen.  This
script will automatically know whatever is in the APRS XML spec.  And a
quick script to always print a list of every available variable is easy to
create as well. (that's another script that will never need to be updated to
add new variables)

Since you already have to distinguish between many data items in a somewhat
hierarchical manner anyway, why not just make it a ubiquitous standard
hierarchy like XML and bring everything else that offers into the mix at the
same time.  Iow, you can't just say $speed or $direction.  You already have
to say something like $position_speed and $wind_direction.  Why not just
make it all hierarchical, standard, etc.  APRS packets lend themselves too
well to hierarchical organization not to.

I see this is no different a concept than having standard parsing routines
to get data from packets to mysql.  This is just a different layer of
handling the data, and there's no reason it shouldn't be both standard and
centralized.  And by exposing the XML interface to the public, that layer of
the equation is automatically solved for everybody in a standard way, via
http, without exposing any source code, etc, etc, etc...

And as further proof of good existing XML tools... adding the XQL
interpreter took less than an hour last week.  With XML::XQL, the XQL filter
routine took like 10 lines of code.  And I only needed to know enough XQL to
test and make sure it was working okay to do it.  I'd say good tools are
already there now.  I was literally shocked at how easy it was.

I remember you writing early-on that you were planning on doing findu in an
actual XML database, and you had a lot of praise for it.  I understand
completely why you went with mysql, and I agree that it was (and still is) a
good decision.  But that doesn't mean that XML still isn't the best way to
expose the data for public use.  I wonder if that experience soured you
_too_ much on XML.

XML makes it all very centralized, hands-off, and rapidly extensible.
(okay, I'm a little tired of the "extensible" buzzword, but I'm finding that
it's very true... :)

Brad N8QQ