[aprssig] Live Telemetry Data Through a Simple Web Page

Steve Dimse steve at dimse.com
Sat Apr 23 11:03:19 EDT 2005

On Apr 23, 2005, at 10:13 AM, Tony K wrote:

> What Findu supplies looks great for the telemetry graphs.  And this is
> true
> as well for the maps.  What I was looking for was just the last live
> data
> payload that was received presented in a human readable, embeddable
> format.
> Sort of like the weather frames available that provide the last
> temperature
> received from a commercial weather station.

OK, now I understand, I was confused by fact that the html code you are
using does not work on the latest Mac versions of Safari, IE,  Firefox,
and Opera. I've not used the iframe construct, perhaps there is some
syntax problem there easily fixed...there is an error with your
non-breaking spaces, those need a semi-colon following them, like
"   " to display three. I doubt this is the source of
the non-display of the frame though, but on all the mac browsers the
display actually shows "&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp"

This shows the problem of using advanced html features. Despite the
efforts of the W3, a lot of html features are inconsistently
implemented over the spectrum of browsers out there. It is the reason
why findU keeps its HTML simple...

What you'd really like is for a way to use your browser to fetch an XML
URL, load a bunch of variables, which would then be substituted in the
html page. AFAIK, nothing like this exists, all applications like this
are done on the server side, the way findU does it.

Initially I had planned to have a system to allow users to write web
pages with variables in them and store them on findU, a user would
request his page, findU would get the data from the database, replace
the variables, and send the page. I haven't implemented this not
because the programming is difficult, it isn't, but because the user
support requirements would be so high.

This would be a nice project for someone else to do, let the user
specify a url in the page request, the server grabs the user's page
from his own web space (everyone can get web space somewhere) and
replaces any variables using Brad's XML service.

Steve K4HG