[aprssig] flying digipeater?

John Kraus jfkraus3 at cox.net
Mon Apr 18 21:43:16 EDT 2005

At 02:56 PM 4/18/2005, you wrote:
>On Mon, 18 Apr 2005, Curt, WE7U wrote:
>
>>On Mon, 18 Apr 2005, Scott Miller wrote:
>>
>>>We were going to try that once for a transmitter hunt - send up a reflector
>
>That about describes my introduction to Ham Radio.  K8PBA had rigged up a
>heath Twoer with a warble oscillator, hidden in the trunk of an old
>Corvair (come to think of it, in 1963 it couldn't have been that old!),
>parked in the back of a HoJos.  The antenna was a simple dipole made of
>magnet wire tucked into the bead trim across the top of the front seats.
>The car was strategically placed to 'aim' the antenna pattern at a water
>tower about a block away.  I was a neighborhood kid, attracted by the
>sight of a half-dozen grown men wandering thru the woods at the base of
>the water tower carrying home-made cubical quads and strange little boxes
>with meters and dials.
>   Bob K8PBA, Hank VE3CGL, John, and the others in that group elmered me
> into a Novice license within the year....

My favorite fox antenna was a full-sized 2m rhombic made of electric fence
wire and placed three ft off the ground it was fed with 1 watt from a
crossband handheld hidden in a bush.  From 50 yards away we watched the
hunters trying to find the system while walking around inside the
antenna.  They finally found us when we got to laughing so hard they heard us.

sorry for the digression, Ok back to the topic