[aprssig] flying digipeater?

Rick Green rtg at aapsc.com
Mon Apr 18 14:56:43 EDT 2005

On Mon, 18 Apr 2005, Curt, WE7U wrote:

> On Mon, 18 Apr 2005, Scott Miller wrote:
>
>> We were going to try that once for a transmitter hunt - send up a reflector

That about describes my introduction to Ham Radio.  K8PBA had rigged up a
heath Twoer with a warble oscillator, hidden in the trunk of an old
Corvair (come to think of it, in 1963 it couldn't have been that old!),
parked in the back of a HoJos.  The antenna was a simple dipole made of
magnet wire tucked into the bead trim across the top of the front seats.
The car was strategically placed to 'aim' the antenna pattern at a water
tower about a block away.  I was a neighborhood kid, attracted by the
sight of a half-dozen grown men wandering thru the woods at the base of
the water tower carrying home-made cubical quads and strange little boxes
with meters and dials.
   Bob K8PBA, Hank VE3CGL, John, and the others in that group elmered me
into a Novice license within the year....

Thanks for the memory!
--
Rick Green

                                   -Benjamin Franklin